In April 1997, the Radiology department was established at the Armenian-American Health Center to perform preventive screening and diagnosis of breast diseases.
Since its establishment, 329,521breast screenings have been provided and 16,704 breast cancer incidence has been detected. Due to check-ups, the Center has saved 12,436 women’s lives.
Breast cancer is the most commonly occurring cancer in women but it can be diagnosed in men as well. To date, 1,829 men patients underwent breast screening at the Center, 78 of which with a breast cancer diagnosis.
Breast cancer can be prevented by following these rules:
• Monthly self-examination
• Visit a doctor once every 6 months/mammologist, oncologist, gynecologist /
• Breast screening
Breast screening recommendations for women:
- Women ages under 35 - breast ultrasound screening
- Women ages 35 - 40 - annual breast ultrasound screening with one basic screening mammography
- Women ages 40 - 50 - annual breast ultrasound screening with screening mammography every-other-year
- Women ages 50 and older – annual screening mammograph
Mammography screening is performed for breast cancer prevention and detection. Since 2011, two Hologic Selenia 3Dimension Mammography Systems have been installed at the AAWC’s Radiology Department purchased from Hologic Corporation in the U.S by a grant from the American Schools and Hospitals Abroad (ASHA) Division of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
The advantages of Selenia 3Dimension Mammography Systems are:
- low dose screening with the highest resolution
- high-quality images by applying only a little pressure just enough to keep the breast in a stable position during the
- Digital image can be zoomed improving visibility for greater diagnostic confidence and instantly viewed allowing to
detect breast cancer at the very early pre-cancerous stage
- Digital tomosynthesis help to reduce and avoid overlapping of the breast tissue.
- Dense breast screening is easier through a digital mammography system allowing a thorough analysis and detection
The department is also equipped with state-of-the-art ultrasound units. With Toshiba Aplio 500 ultrasound unit is possible to perform any ultrasound examination.
The Wellness Center closely cooperates with the Major Radiological Centers and Medical University Hospitals. Consultations, conferences and seminars have been organized with international partners, as well as on-line consultations are held.